How is it December already? Time has flown crazy fast for me, but we are heading into the most wonderful time of the year, so…Happy December 1st! I don’t know about ya’ll, but when the weather starts getting colder, there is part (okay most) of me that demands warming bowls of chili and soup. And if it can be made in a crock-pot, even better! I am in love with my crock-pot because I do 15 minutes of work, let the cooker do its thing, and BAM! I have a delicious dinner all ready to go after a busy day. One recipe I have found recently and absolutely loved was Enchilada Quinoa Chili from Fit Mitten Kitchen! It’s quick, easy and insanely delicious! Plus, it includes sweet potatoes, one of the best and tastiest super-foods out there. What more could you ask for? (But seriously, the sweet potatoes are my favorite part of this whole dish!)
The original recipe on her site is vegan and I originally tried it that way. I think next time I will try adding chicken in it to boost the protein content for myself. I don’t see why you couldn’t add other meats you desire or keep it like the original and do no meat if you are vegan or vegetarian. Either way its bound to be good, warm and filling! I mean just look at it. So, if you’re in need of a hearty, delicious, people-pleasing, new meal to make…look no farther than this Enchilada Quinoa Chili. Trust me, you’ll be glad you did.
Enchilada Quinoa Chili
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 4 hours Total time: 4 hours 15 minutes
Yields: 8 servings
- 2 cups chopped sweet potato, (about 1 medium and 1 small)
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 15 oz. can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups enchilada sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- juice of 1 lime
- Optional: 1-1.5 pounds of chicken breast
- Additional toppings: avocado, guacamole, cilantro, sour cream, crushed tortilla chips, etc.
- If using chicken breasts, wash and add to the bottom of a slow cooker. (If not go to step 2)
- Add sweet potatoes, bell pepper, onion, black beans, diced tomatoes with juice, corn and garlic. Sprinkle in seasonings and stir together until combined.
- Add in quinoa, enchilada sauce, water and lime. Sir together until ingredients are evenly dispersed in the slow cooker.
- Cook chili on high for 3-4 hours until sweet potatoes are soft. If you used chicken, remove from the bottom, dice on a plate and stir into the chili.
- Serve in bowls and add on your favorite toppings!
Original recipe found here on Fit Mitten Kitchen.